If you are about to undergo a dental therapy that necessitates the use of sedation dentistry, especially IV sedation, there are definitely some important questions you should ask your dentist prior to the procedure. Remembering to ask these questions can be difficult, especially if you are feeling anxious or ill at ease with regard to the treatment.
Use this guide to give you some of the most important questions you might not have thought of or remembered to ask:
- What type of sedation will I be receiving?
- What risk factors – even rare ones – are associated with this type of sedation?
- How long will the treatment take, and during how much of that time will I be sedated?
- How will the sedation be administered?
- Who will give me the sedation and monitor it during my treatment?
- What safety measures do you have in place in case of any medical emergency?
- What would happen in the case of a cardiac emergency or a seizure?
- Who is trained in CPR and other life-saving skills?
- What kind of preparations do I need to make prior to my treatment?
- Should someone accompany me to be present during the treatment?
- How soon following treatment will I feel awake and alert?
- May I drive myself home afterward?
- What kind of pain can I expect after my treatment?
- How will I manage my discomfort?
- What kind of aftercare does my particular treatment require?
- What signs should I look for that would lead me to contact you for a follow-up?
Talk to Ottawa sedation dentist Dr. Dzajkovski to get the answers to questions like these and any others you may have prior to receiving sedation dentistry.
Often, advertising for cosmetic dentistry focuses on women. Photos in magazines and on Web sites show attractive females with gorgeous smiles. Although these campaigns often target women, men can benefit from cosmetic dentistry too.
Professionally and personally, men have just as many reasons as women do to look their best. Your smile is one of the first things people notice about you. Having a vibrant, white smile can create a perception of self-assurance, intelligence, and warmth. Men who have cosmetic dental enhancements can enjoy the benefits of looking younger and feeling more confident.
Though you can opt for a total smile makeover, you don’t have to change everything to update your appearance. For a minimal investment, teeth whitening can make you look years younger. If you want to straighten teeth, talk with your dentist about Invisalign clear braces. Porcelain veneers can cover imperfections on front teeth and reveal a gorgeous, new image.
Not only can rejuvenating your smile boost your confidence, but it can also improve your oral health. Crooked teeth are actually harder to clean, which can lead to gum disease or decay. As well, small cavities can lead to the need for crowns or root canals if left untreated.
To enhance your smile, first find a cosmetic dentist you can trust. Talk with friends, relatives, and colleagues to get recommendations. Once you find the right person, schedule a consultation so that you can meet with the doctor and share your ideas. Why wait any longer to enjoy a sensational smile?
We treat patients from Ottawa and the surrounding area
Straight, white smiles are in high demand, and choosing who is going to perform your smile makeover is not a decision to be taken lightly. The American Dental Association does not include cosmetic dentistry as one of the eight specialties, meaning there are no legal restrictions against any dentist calling themselves a “cosmetic dentist.” Therefore, it is vital to the success of your treatment to do research and find the best cosmetic dentist to perform your smile makeover. When searching for a qualified cosmetic dentist, consider the following:
- Ask your potential dentist about their cosmetic studies. Beyond dental school, a trained cosmetic dentist should have taken postgraduate courses and training in the particular types of procedures you are seeking.
- Find out what organizations they belong to that focus solely on cosmetic dentistry. The American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry is the most notable, and offers an accreditation program that includes extensive continuing education and rigorous testing to ensure outstanding skills. Dentists who complete this accreditation are considered to be the very best in their field.
- Ask to see “before and after” photos of patients they have treated for smile makeovers. It is important you like the style and quality of the work shown in the photos before moving forward with your chosen cosmetic dentist.
- Inquire about testimonials and reviews from patients who have been treated for cosmetic problems similar to yours. An internet search can also yield information and reviews from previous patients about the cosmetic dentist you are considering.
- Find out how long the cosmetic dentist has been practicing and which cosmetic dental procedures they most commonly perform.
- Ask about the technology in their office. Current dental technology is one way to determine the level of advanced care in a cosmetic dentistry practice.
- Is the dentist and office staff friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable?
Be sure you feel comfortable and confident with your choice of a cosmetic dentist before proceeding with a smile makeover. Making the best choice can mean enjoying years of a beautiful, bright smile.
Our dental office is located in Ottawa
Did you know that it takes fewer muscles to smile than frown? This powerful tool often gets lost in the busyness of our lives. Not only is smiling easier on your face, but it can significantly improve your mood and give somebody else’s day a lift. The benefits of smiling include:
Connects you with other people
When you share a smile with another person, you form an instant bond. By boosting that individual’s mood, you can reduce stress levels and possibly encourage that person to try on a smile. Actually, you can use a smile as currency to successfully navigate awkward social situations and gather any assistance you need.
Changes your perspective
If you feel anger or stress, smiling can give your attitude a much-needed adjustment. Typically, smiling enables your body to release endorphins, wonderful chemicals that make you feel happy.
It doesn’t cost a thing
Often, we get busy and don’t have the time, energy, or resources to help others. Your smile brightens the lives of anyone who sees it and it only takes a minute or less.
Helps fight illness
People who smile a lot tend to be more optimistic, which can promote a stronger immune system and keep you healthy.
Why not smile?
Try to remember that if you don’t smile, your other options are frowning or wearing a blank expression across your face. Given those choices, smiling seems like the best alternative.
Boosts your confidence
When you smile, you often walk taller and carry yourself in a more self-assured manner.
Smile makeover dentist in Ottawa
As much as you hope it doesn’t happen, dental emergencies can sneak up on you. Some clinics offer emergency dental care to provide quick, effective, and safe treatment. It’s important to know what kinds of dental problems require urgent care, as opposed to those that can wait until you can get a regular appointment with your dentist. Here are some common types of emergencies that warrant immediate treatment.
A painful toothache that won’t go away should not be ignored. These can occur suddenly, be confined to a single area, cause pain when eating, and also involve your gums. Symptoms like these may indicate an abscess, which can also lead to facial swelling. Sometimes your airway can even become blocked. A severe toothache requires immediate relief, and therefore is considered a dental emergency.
If you have oral bleeding from something like losing a tooth and you can’t get it under control, you need to see an emergency dentist. Normally when a tooth falls out, the bleeding will stop after a few minutes. If the blood won’t clot for some reason, or if there was severe trauma, excessive bleeding can occur. A dentist can help stop the bleeding by applying pressure, using a hemostatic agent, or even using stitches.
Infection may occur when a tooth is fractured, especially if the break goes deep into a permanent tooth, so immediate care is necessary. An emergency dentist will apply dentine padding to the affected area, so that you can visit your own dentist the next day for further treatment.
If you have had oral surgery and the pain is more severe or lingering than your dentist anticipated, you should seek treatment immediately to make sure complications like a dry socket or jaw fracture hasn’t occurred.
If you have a dental emergency, contact our Ottawa dentists office.
Dental implants are the best restorative choice for replacing a tooth that is missing. Whether the tooth has come out due to some kind of facial trauma or an infection or other issue, dental implants are the solution. The real difference in quality between a dental implant and other restorations such as bridges lies in the fact that the dental implant is placed directly into the patient’s jawbone, eventually fusing there through a process known as ossification.
Over time, ossification provides the kind of tooth base that is only seen elsewhere in natural teeth. When a dental implant is successful, it is as secure and as natural looking as a patient’s own original teeth; however, in some cases, dental implants fail. Sometimes they fail repeatedly. What’s causing these dental implant failures? Here are some potential causes.
Sometimes the implant doesn’t fuse with the bone and the bone shrinks away from the implant, leading to implant mobility or even the implant falling out. Patients who have weak bones due to age, osteoporosis, years of being edentulous (toothless) or another medical condition will find dental implants more challenging. If you’ve been having issues with failure to ossify, your dentist might recommend a bone graft to rebuild the jawbone to a healthy level so that dental implants can properly fuse.
In other cases, persistent infection may result in repeated implant failure. Signs of infection are continuous bleeding, swelling at the implant site or acute inflammation of the gum tissue at the implant site. Pus may be evident, or a bubble might appear on the gumline. Some health issues such as diabetes, auto-immune disorders or treatments like cancer therapies can weaken the immune system and leave the implant site vulnerable to infection. Your dentist might prescribe antibiotics or recommend you see an endodontist for a root canal treatment.
If you’re concerned about your dental implant, talk to Ottawa dentist Dr. Dzajkovski right away. Find out what steps you need to take to ensure that your dental implants are successful.
Schedule your appointment at our Ottawa dental office